Tuesday 17 April 2012

Deciding on a Theme

Originally I had chosen artworks that were painted of the sea, however, I came across Ken Curries' work in Aberdeen art gallery and was inspired by his haunting portrait, as I imadgined this would look dramatic in Dunnottar. However, this painting does not link with the others, and it is important that the paintings interact with each other by having something in common.

I therefore decided the theme should be based on imprisoned/entrappment and torture/nightmares. Joan Eardley who I have looked at, has done several studies of children in Glasgow,and has looked at tenements in Glasgow. These tenements that rise very high can make one feel trapped, which can relate to the hundreds of men that were imprisoned in Dunnottar Castle hundreds of years ago. This is why I thought Eardley's painting 'Three Children at a Tenement Window' would work well in the dungeons of the castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment